International Homebrew Day
Come along and learn something Brew! International Homebrew Day is on the first Saturday in May each year. Home Brewers from all over the world brew the same recipe on the same day. It’s an opportunity to fire up the kettle and raise a glass to the greatest hobby there is— homebrewing!
For nearly 20 years, the Canberra Brewers have participated in International Homebrew Day and coordinated a public event to showcase homebrewing to the Canberra community.
From 11am – 3pm, BentSpoke will be hosting the Canberra Brewers and International Home Brewday at the cannery in Mitchell. Come along and enjoy some of our favourite BentSpoke beers, food and live music throughout the day.
The Canberra Brewers will be brewing on a range of systems ranging from the very simple, through to more advanced brewing styles. The brewers will be using the Voyager malt from the NSW Riverina and Ryefield hops from Bemboka.
- A demonstration of the grain being crushed using a mill / malt discussion
- Brewers will mash-in (mix the grain with water)
- Coffee demonstration by Ministry of Grounds
- Grain will be removed to reveal our sweet wort
- Wort will be boiled and hops added for bitterness, flavour and aroma
- Hop demonstration/discussion
- Pimp your kit demonstration
- Mead demonstration (an alcoholic beverage made from honey)
- The boil will be complete. Our brewers will begin chilling the wort, ready for fermentation
- Cider demonstration
- Homebrew tasting
All proceeds go to the Canberra Homebrewers Club.